Boy, 13, admits assaulting police officers in Hackney ‘group attack’
A 13-year-old boy has admitted kicking and hurling abuse at two police officers during an alleged group attack in east London.
Footage posted to social media showed an officer tackling a suspect to the ground in Hackney before a number of others swarm around him shouting and swearing. His female colleague was also pushed when she tried to intervene.
They suffered minor injuries but did not require hospital treatment.
The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to two charges of assault on an emergency worker at Thames Magistrates’ Court.
Prosecutor Varinder Hayre told the court: ‘This incident relates to an unprovoked, deliberate group attack on two serving police officers simply doing their daily jobs.’
She said that video of the incident circulating on social media had recieved national attention.
Home Secretary Priti Patel and mayor of London Sadiq Khan were among those to publicly condemn the incident.
Ms Hayre told the court that the two officers, PC Macpherson and PC Ali, were dealing with an incident that the teenager became involved in.
She said ‘he then kicked towards Pc Macpherson’s head and he hit Pc Ali in the leg’, adding: ‘He was shouting abuse.’
The youth was arrested and interviewed, where he identified himself in the social media footage and ‘admitted to kicking both police officers’, Ms Hayre told the court.
She said the teenager explained that he thought he had been ‘helping’ another man, with this combining with what he had seen in news coverage regarding ‘Black Lives Matter’.
The prosecutor added: ‘He said he was sorry for kicking the officers. He should not have got involved in the way that he did.’
District Judge Jonathan Radway sent the case to Stratford Youth Court for sentencing on July 8.
The judge granted bail to the 13-year-old, who was supported in court by his aunt, on the condition he abide by a curfew between the hours of 7pm and 7am.
Later on Friday, three men facing assault charges relating to their alleged involvement in the incident appeared at the same court in consecutive hearings.
Paul Kabemba, 33, of from Hackney, indicated not guilty pleas to one count of assault by beating on a member of the public and one count of assault on an emergency worker.
He was granted bail on the condition that he does not contact the civilian victim, who he is alleged to have punched and spat at.
Jordan Thomas, 20, who was supported by family members in court, also indicated not-guilty pleas to two counts of assaulting an emergency worker.
Marvin Henderson, 34, who chose to represent himself in court, indicated not guilty pleas to like charges.
Both Thomas and Henderson, also from Hackney, were granted unconditional bail.
The judge sent the men’s cases to Wood Green Crown Court, where they are due to appear for a plea and trial preparation hearing on July 10.